1. England is governed by executive order and decree by the PM or the Privy Council. The Conservative Party became the National Unity Party and has won two more General Elections. Parliamentary powers are limited to LGBTQ issues, animal welfare and English human rights. Parliamentary votes are advisory. National referenda are used for all major foreign affairs issues. Executive power has been centralised to Whitehall. Regional mayors are again ceremonial and appointed by the Government.
2. The Labour Party won no more elections at national level. Only local council and parish elections are still held, won by the Greens. Successive Labour leaders continued to worry about retaining the working class vote even as they lost it. Labour votes responsibly with the government on laws presented as the only alternative to anarchy. Some minor government departments and agencies are run by selected billionaires – ‘the Sunak club’. Liberal Democrats and Greens are ignored.
3. In England a proposed written constitution and new parliamentary and constitutional procedures are still being discussed by a Royal Commission appointed back in 2021. Meanwhile, the UK Supreme Court has been abolished and senior judges are now chosen by the Privy Council. The new English National Police Force has powers of arrest on suspicion and can shoot to kill. Criminal sentences are longer and capital punishment applies for murder, child abuse, treason, flag idolatry, and terrorist sympathy.
4. The Houses of Parliament are being restored as part-time debating chambers for the Lords and the Commons. The chambers, terraces and facilities are rented out to companies and wealthy individuals for parties in the evenings, Fridays and weekends. Other parts of the Palace of Westminster are being converted into theatres, permanent exhibitions, and museums addressing the issue of democracy. A huge poster hangs over the entrance: ‘Respect the People’s Vote’
5. The United Kingdom no longer exists. Scotland and Wales seceded after organising their own referenda and were fast-tracked back into the EU without penalty after they overwhelmingly voted to leave the Union. Northern Ireland became part of a United Ireland. Hadrian’s Wall and Offa’s Dyke were rebuilt. The St George’s flag flies everywhere; flying the Union Jack or the European flag is illegal. Official school books tell the glorious tale of England’s liberation in 2020 (the Govebooks).
6. The British monarchy was abolished by order of the Privy Council after the Queen’s death. She and Prince Philip are buried together in Calais; Charles and Camilla are under house arrest in Sandringham. The remainder of the royal family is dispersed to the Isle of Wight, Canada and the USA where they participate in celebrity reality shows compered by Andrew. An English president – currently Mark Francois – with only ceremonial powers is appointed every five years by the Privy Council.
7. Kent became a permanent lorry park, with the M25 as the slip road. Canvey Island was leased to the US military. The National Health Service has collapsed; all but basic healthcare is managed by US pharmaceutical companies after the UK-US trade deal. Ordinary people cannot afford health insurance or life cover. All education is exclusively online, with schools sold off – ‘the Williamson Charter’. English health and life expectancy decline. Old diseases return. Covid-19 visits to rampage annually.
8. Thousands of dissidents, arrested protestors and political activists are interned in polytunnels on Thorney Island where they pick fruit. Demonstrations have been banned. Investigative journalists are mostly in hiding. They are hunted by the Patel Guard and large rewards are offered for their capture. The BBC was broken up after losing its TV licence revenue. English viewers’ choices are now between FoxUK, PornHub, Britbox and Netflix – ‘a new freedom to choose’.
9. The English Premier League has moved to France, renamed the European Premier League. Wimbledon became a private health centre. Cricket died and was buried. Rugby survived but the Six Nations became the English county championships when the government banned European participation. A new English Hero Games is created after England exits from the Olympic Committee. English sportsmen defect regularly to France. The Ryder Cup reverts to England vs USA and no-one cares.
10. England is suffering a disastrous social decline with record unemployment at 6 million, escalating poverty, civil conflict and riots caused by racial and religious hatred. Private armies and gangs roam the country. Refugees, asylum seekers and immigrants no longer arrive in England since hundreds were shot in the early years of the decade by the Farage Home Guard. On the basis of the slogan ‘Taking back control’, human rights, race, sex, and religious discrimination laws are dismantled.
11. Bad-tempered trade negotiations between England and the EU still dominate the economic agenda, now in the 10th year of discussion due to the many issues left hanging by the original agreement. The City of London has lost all its business to Frankfurt, Paris and Edinburgh. The City is mostly boarded up and for sale. The services sector has collapsed. Interest rates have risen to 30% and inflation is 45%. The overall Brexit Bill has risen to $250 trillion.
12. The English countryside is disappearing. Most planning controls have been lifted and only government-approved builders operate if they pay a special ‘Jenrick’ tax. Most private property-owners cannot pay their mortgages and owe the Government more than they can ever earn. The national road and rail building programme is a huge success: ‘restoring freedom of movement’. Foreign travel is only government ministers, senior civil servants and the very rich, as well as the weekly Lotto winner.